Tax Exemptions

****Exemption Deadline is March 1, 2018

Are you receiving all the property exemptions you may be entitled to?  Some of the most common exemptions are listed here.  If you think you may qualify, would like an application or have a question, please contact Pam Cook, at or 518-392-3260 (ext 305).

Star (School Tax Relief)

If you recently purchased your home or you’ve never applied for the STAR benefit on your current home, you may be able to save hundreds of dollars each year.  If you own your home, it’s your primary residence, and your income is $500,000 or less, you’re eligible for the Basic STAR credit check.  You only need to register for the STAR credit once, and you’ll continue to receive the annual benefit as long as you’re eligible.  New Basic star applicants must register directly with the NYS Tax department to receive the STAR check.  You can register 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at or phone weekdays from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at 518-457-2036.  Current STAR exemption recipients: You don’t need to register with New York State if you’re a longtime homeowner with an existing STAR exemption.  But if you’re 65 or older with a yearly income of $86,000 or less, you may be eligible for the Enhanced STAR.

Senior citizens exemption

Local governments and school districts in New York State can grant a reduction on the amount of property taxes paid by qualifying senior citizens on a primary residence.  To qualify, you must be 65 years of age or older and meet certain income limitations and other eligibility requirements.  You must have owned the property for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the date of filing, unless you received the exemption for your previous residence. Each of the owners  must be 65 years of age or over, unless the owners are husband and wife.  Gross income cannot exceed $37,400.

Persons with disabilities exemption

To qualify, persons with disabilities generally must have certain documented evidence of their disability and meet certain income limitations and other requirements. The disabled person does not need to be 65, but the property must be owned and occupied by the person with the disability.  Documented evidence of the disability as well as combined gross income including social security must be no more than $37,400.

Alternative Veterans’ exemption

The property must be owned and occupied by a veteran or unremarried surviving spouse of a veteran who served during specific periods of war and conflict.  You must submit the initial exemption application form along with proof of discharge under honorable conditions including times and places served in active duty (usually form DD-214).   Once approved, you will continue to receive the benefit as long as it remains your primary residence.


To qualify, the land must be used for the production of sales of crops, livestock, or livestock products, and consist of one of the following:

Seven acres or more with an average gross income of $10,000 for the last two years

Less than seven acres with an average gross income of $50,000 for the last two years

Rented land can also qualify with a long-term lease.