Our History

Austerlitz was organized from parts of the towns of Hillsdale, Chatham, and Canaan, March 28, 1818. A little more than one-fifteenth of the present town was taken from Chatham, a little over one-eighth from Canaan, and a little less than five-sixths from Hillsdale. This area was first settled in 1757 under a deed from Mohican Indians to 75 settlers, who established the proprietorship of Spencers Town, there being 12 Spencer families in the group. The Mohicans and the settlers thought Spencers Town was in the colony of Massachusetts Bay, but New York's jurisdiction was established before the Revolution.   

Art Austerlitz Contemporary Artists at Old Austerlitz

The historic church on route 22 in Austerlitz and at the Morey-Devereaux barn at Old Austerlitz host local and regional contemporary artists’ exhibit. Sponsored by the Austerlitz Historical Society.

Monthly exhibits from May through September 2021 begin with a Saturday reception on 5/1,6/5,7/3, 8/7 and 9/4, and end on the last Sunday of the month. Gallery hours: 12-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday throughout the exhibition season. Art Austerlitz participates in the self -guided tour of Upstate Arts Weekend from 8/27 - 8/29.

Location:11550 and 11561 State Route 22, Austerlitz, NY, 12017. Visit www.oldausterlitz.org for more information.

Town News Signup