Town of Austerlitz
May 25, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions…..
1. When is the Special Referendum Vote: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 from 12:00-7:00 p.m. at the Town of Austerlitz Town Hall, 816, State Route 203, Spencertown, NY
2. What are you voting on?
a. Short answer-to change the Highway Superintendent position to an appointed position instead of an elected position.
b. Ballot verbiage- “Shall Local Law No. 1 of 2021 of the Town of Austerlitz, which provides that the elective office of the Town Superintendent of Highways be abolished and the duties and responsibilities of the elective Office of Superintendent of Highways be transferred and vested in a newly-created appointive Office of Superintendent of Highways which is appointed by the Town Board, be approved?”
3. If the referendum passes, when will this change take effect? Change will take effect January 1, 2022 if referendum passes.
4. Who can vote? Any qualified registered voter in the Town of Austerlitz.
5. What if I am not registered to vote in the Town of Austerlitz? You may register to vote on a special Registration Day held May 15, 2021. The Board of registration will be meeting from 10:00-3:00 p.m. at the Town of Austerlitz Town Hall, 816 State Route 203, Spencertown, NY.
If you chose to register to vote in the Town of Austerlitz Special Referendum, and are already registered to vote in another area of New York State, this registration will change your current voting registration.
6. What if I am already registered to vote in the Town of Austerlitz? You will only need to show up on election day to vote.
7. Can I register to vote by mail? No. You must register to vote in person on the special Registration, May 15, 2021, from 10:00-3:00 p.m. at the Austerlitz Town Hall.
8. What is the last day I can register to vote? May 15, 2021 at the Town of Austerlitz Registration Day.
9. What if I will not be able available to vote on May 25, 2021 during the voting hours of 12:00-7:00 p.m.? You have the option of voting by absentee ballot.
a. If you want to vote by absentee ballot and have the ballot mailed to you, the application for an absentee ballot must be received by the Town clerk by May 18, 2021.
b. If you want to pick up an absentee ballot at the Town Hall from the Town Clerk, the application for an absentee ballot must be received by the Town Clerk by May 24, 2021.
c. Absentee ballots must be received by mail, or in person to the Town of Austerlitz Town Clerk by close of polls on Election day, May 25, 2021 at 7:00 p.m.
d. Reasons for being able to vote by absentee ballot are:
i. Being absent from the Town and County May 25, 2021 due to vacation, job or other duties.
iv. Physical disability
v. In the hospital
vi. Includes risk of exposure to COVID-19
10. How do I get an absentee ballot application? Applications for an absentee ballot are available from the Town Clerk during normal business hours of Monday-Friday, 8:00-12:00 p.m. or through the link above.