The NY State Public Service Commission is requesting that the public give comments regarding NYSEG’s proposal to increase their electric delivery revenue by $274 million (31%increase in base delivery revenue) and a 43.4 million increase in natural gas delivery revenue (19% increase). For details see the attached letter.

To comment by internet or mail:
Go to click on Search and enter case number 22-G-0318, 22-E-0319 or
22-G-0320 in the Search By Case Number field, then click on “Post Comments”.
Comments may also be mailed to:
Honorable Michelle L. Phillips
Secretary, Public Service Commission
3 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12223-1350
(Filing electronically is encouraged)
All comments will become part of the public record considered by the Commission.

All comments are requested by March 31, 2023.

NYS Department of Public Service Proposed Changes to Annual Electric and Natural Gas Delivery Rates and Practices

Austerlitz History Center Salutes “Pop” Sweet

New Exhibit Opens July 9

The Austerlitz History Center in Spencertown will open a new exhibit on the life and career of George R. “Pop” Sweet, the Famed Fiddler of Fog Hill, on Saturday July 9 from 9 am-2 pm. The Sweet exhibit will remain on view for the remainder of 2022.

In 1930, from the remote Fog Hill section of Austerlitz, Pop Sweet launched a career as an old-time fiddler and square dance caller that brought him wide renown in Columbia, Dutchess and Berkshire counties. There was hardly a hamlet where Pop Sweet and his Huckleberry Pickers did not play during the 1930s into the 1950s. Granges, fraternal lodges, dance halls, restaurants, taverns, campgrounds and even barns all resonated with the joyful sounds of Pop’s fiddling and calling.

Sweet’s fame extended beyond the local region. He was called by the founder of the National Folk Festival “the best caller in the United States,” a title he earned at the Philadelphia Festival in 1943 when he was selected as the best square dance caller out of a nationwide field of more than 130.

The Austerlitz History Center’s exhibit traces Sweet’s musical career and features a soundtrack that includes recordings of Pop’s fiddling and calling from 1947 that are now housed in the Library of Congress. Explored as well is Sweet’s colorful persona as a genuine backwoods character: a hunter and trapper, pursuer of the “Black Beast of the Berkshires,” and long-time Groundhog Day forecaster.

The exhibit also plays tribute to the Sweet family: six generations of musicians dating back to the 1830s. Sixth-generation musician Bobby Sweet, a well-known Berkshire singer, songwriter and bandleader, will perform with his band at Spencertown Academy’s Community Day, also on Saturday, July 9, 2 pm at Spencertown park. Community Day celebrates the 175th anniversary of the Academy’s historic home and the 50th anniversary of the Academy as an arts center.

Accompanying the exhibit is a richly researched book on Sweet’s life written by Tom Moreland, Austerlitz Town Historian. It includes a detailed chronological review of Pop’s square dances, listing more than 300 appearances in more than 150 venues scattered among some 70 localities.

The Austerlitz History Center, 812 Route 203 in Spencertown, will be open on Saturday July 9 from 9 am-2 pm for the exhibit’s premiere, and for the remainder of the year on Saturdays from 9-11 am, or at other times as arranged with the Town Historian (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.). The Center’s permanent exhibits cover the history of the Austerlitz area from its settlement in the 1750s to the 21st century.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Come and visit the Austerlitz Climate Smart Community Task Force at the Columbia County Climate Carnival!  

The inaugural event will be held at the Columbia County Fairgrounds in Chatham, NY, on Saturday, July 16, 2022, from 10am to 4pm. 

This family-friendly celebration will feature a Repair Café, Free Store, bike recycling, live birds of prey and beekeeping exhibitions, demonstrations and education about renewable energy, help with composting, perennial wildflowers and “biochar,” children's programming, music, food trucks, and entertainment.  

Whether you live in Austerlitz or elsewhere in Columbia County, drop by our table and hear about our work, how you can join in on whats next, and participate in fun children's and adults activities! See you at the Carnival!

Austerlitz Climate Carnival 2022

The Town of Austerlitz is proud to announce we are now a bronze certified Climate Smart Community.  One of only three towns in Columbia County, we are proud to show if we can do it, any town can.

CSC certified bronze






Please note that the Board of Fire Commissioners for the Town of Austerlitz will be meeting on the following dates for the year 2022/2023. All meetings will commence at 7:00pm at the Spencertown Fire Company, One Memorial Drive, Spencertown NY.

February 28th                                                               August 15th

March 21st                                                                       September 19th

April 18th                                                                           October 17th

May 16th                                                                            November 15th (Tuesday)

June 20th                                                                           December 19th

July 18th

The Year End, Organizational and Regular Meetings have been scheduled for January 10, 2023, at 7:00pm.

The Register Star and Times Union have been designated the official newspapers. National Union Bank of Kinderhook (now the Community Bank) & The Bank of Greene County have been designated the official depositories.

By order of:

Tara Sanders

District Secretary/Treasurer


Quarterly dates for the 2022 K.I.S.S. Program (Keeping Seniors Safe Shredding).  Drop off at the Town Hall

March 4-25, 2022

June 6-24, 2022

August 29-September 9. 2022

November 28-December 9, 2022